Thursday, February 10, 2005

Shaki

Since my first post was about Shakira, the second one might be as well. Shakira is my favorite musician. She is my ideal woman in an Aristotelean sense. The trouble with philosophy is that, that which was once a very precise term is adopted and diluted by common use, of which "ideal" is a good example. An ideal is very much an archetype. What does one think of when one thinks of a chair? There is some common essence that defines a chair, even though they can be made of entirely different materials, be in entirely different shapes, and serve very different purposes: i.e., a throne and a bean bag. When you conceive of a chair, a certain image comes to mind. When I think female, Shakira comes to mind. She is the essential characteristic that women have in my mind.

The real point of all this is that, as Shakira said, "I mean everything I say, only some things not so much." I tend to wrestle with ideas, even if they're hideously bad, to see if there is any good in them which I can save. This means three things: first, you will probably come across some hideously bad ideas on this blog, and I mean what I say, but not so much. I'll ride any old nag until I get where I'm going or it dies under me--and then cook it for dinner. For example, I've accepted some of Karl Marx' ideas as my own, but that doesn't mean I'm a communist, nor does it mean that it in any way exonerates him or his disciples for the consequences of their actions. Second, I am a thief. I don't steal people's possessions; I steal their ideas and make them my own. You will find bits of other people's ideas strewn about in my thoughts--I make salad from other people's gardens. Third, I don't care what a person thinks so long as they have thought. People who think will eventually either agree with me or improve my thinking. The Housekarl and I disagree on some issues, but because he has thought I accept it. If someone hasn't thought, I will argue strenuously against them even if we agree completely. People who don't think drown out the voices of those who do. There are no agnostics in thought, to be neutral is to harm.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Philosopher Poet said...

I love this post. I hate you because you wrote it first.

By the way when I first heard of this site I was flabbergasted. I could not get the image of you dancing in a Shakira video, more specifically the one where she was crawling around in the mud. I laughed and then my evil, overwhelming curiosity got the better of me and I had to read your blog.

It's nice that someone I know has a "political" blog up. I'm currently shying away from politics as a topic in my journal for the simple reason that they piss me off so much. It seems the Morons have taken over politics too. Those sneaky devils!

Anyway I really liked this post, it makes me want to hug you in a heterosexual, manly sort of way.
(You ever get the feeling that you've just typed something that you'll regret later... Oh well, bear with me I'm in a fragile state of lack of sleep, hunger, apathy, the dry-eye internet stare and new technology overload.)

I love the internet, I think I will die when my eyes swell up to the size of grapefruits from all the computer screen radiation. Ahh! The warming glow of my monitor, so comforting. I think I need to go to bed...

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Philosopher Poet said...

I really need to stop posting comments when I'm really tired...

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Noumenon said...

Did you know that Shakira's father was from Lebanon? They were Maronite Catholics, which was the ruling majority when Lebanon was a Christian country. When demographics brought Shi'ites into the majority in the '70s, Maronites emigrated all over the Americas, to Columbia and elsewhere. Salma Hayek's parents came from Lebanon too. (just learned this at juancole.com

7:30 PM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

Yes, I did know that her dad's from Lebanon.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home