Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Jobs

A friend/acquaintance of mine recently posted a rant about how much his job sucks. I remember the first time I worked for a larger company I was astounded. I thought, "This has to be a fluke! The world couldn't keep going if this was how everything was run!" I have now worked for several firms, one of whom is very competitive in its field, and I have come to the conclusion that the world DOES work that way. One cannot run from incompetence.

My current theory is that there is not enough movement down the career ladder. If the people making the decisions had to come and work under the decisions they made, (for a longer period than a few days), every now and then, I think it would improve things dramatically.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Noumenon said...

A friend/acquaintance of mine recently posted a rant about how much his job sucks.

Was that the Flying Philosopher? You should have linked to it!

I've never been surprised by incompetence. I guess I have lower standards. I'm surprised there's any competence at all, really.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Philosopher Poet said...

All this cross-linking makes me giddy..
Anywho, I also think the opposite would be effective, let the low peons change company policy once and a while, then they could abolish the really stupid ones.

Of course human nature being what it is it would end up not working anyway as the policies would be changed back just for spite.

7:02 PM  
Blogger mindful said...

i think this too... quite often. on good days, my job sucks, on bad days, it's hell... but for now, it'll have to do.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Hamlette said...

One cannot run from incompetence.

No, but evidently one can run ON incompetence.

I think some people view incompetence as job security. "If I get this done really efficiently, it won't take me as long and they'll give me more to do, or maybe they'll see that what I do isn't that difficult after all, so they'll give it to someone else and I'll get fired; I'll be homeless and penniless and my children will go into foster care; my wife will divorce me and my parents will die in a very bad nursing home because I can't give them the proper care. I'd better slow down! I NEED this job!" (Sorry--I'm reading Virginia Woolfe right now, and the stream-of-consciousness is getting to me!)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

There was one time, at my place of employment, when a customer tour was coming in first thing Monday morning. As we were working that weekend, we were given a list of things that needed to be cleaned, moved, organized, etc., before the tour arrived--in addition to our regular work. That weekend we ran ourselves ragged, but come Monday morning, the place was presentable. The next weekend, even though there was no tour, we received an even longer list. As you might imagine, we didn't get much done.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home