Monday, May 30, 2005

Mysteries

I am very particular about the kinds of fiction I truly enjoy, and by truly enjoy, I mean a book good enough that I'm willing to read it again. In terms of mysteries, I have one criteria--I have to have all the information that the detective has. If the author can present the evidence and still have me stumped, and yet through sheer brilliance solve the case, that is a good mystery. My favorite authors in the genre, using this criterion, are:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Who doesn't love Sherlock Holmes? The brilliance, coupled with vivid storytelling, make him the supreme detective. I also strongly recommend the British television versions starring Jeremy Brett (yes, the guy who played Freddie in My Fair Lady) as Sherlock Holmes.

Harry Kemelman: The "Rabbi" series. For sheer hairsplitting logic, these are the best.

Isaac Asimov: the "Black Widower" short stories. The chief feature of these is that the "detectives" never leave the room. Everything they conclude is deduced solely from what was said.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette said...

Harry Kemelman: The "Rabbi" series. For sheer hairsplitting logic, these are the best.

Hairsplitting logic? And you think I'll enjoy these? Hmmmmmmmmm. This description doesn't make them sound very appealing.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home