Monday, June 06, 2005

Federalism

There is a city near where I live that has the most politically active city council I've ever heard about. They make some good decisions, a few questionable ones, a great deal of bad ones, and some which are simply bizarre. Why am I not protesting the bizarre decisions? Because I am a fan of federalism. Even though it is wasteful and confusing, when it comes to power, I much prefer having hundreds of people trying to do hundreds of different and contradictory things, than I do having one all-powerful person (or group) in control of everything. It's just much safer that way.

So, how can you tell that a federal structure is working? When a lower level of government does something that the higher level disapproves of, and the higher one can't stop it. That's why I approve the random bizarre decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home