Saturday, June 11, 2005

Freud

I purchased Shakira's new album "Fijacion Oral" yesterday. The dual disc feature rocks! It's a Spanish-language album (although there's a song that has some German in it, so I was able to understand a few lines without help) and the dual disc provides English translations of the lyrics. Now if only she would start releasing music DVD's with all of the music videos (including those from previous albums).

The dual disc also has an interview in which the dude with whom she sings the first single, "La Tortura", interviews her. It is extremely funny. My favorite line is, when he's interviewing her about how she likes interviews, he says, "There are a lot of terrorists working as journalists."

The booklet also has an interesting feature. Rather than being folded and stapled like, well, a booklet, it is folded like a road map. One side of the unfolded booklet is a poster, so in case you decide that you never want to read the lyrics again, you can put it on your wall. Or you can call Superman, go into the next room, and have him read them to you.

Hamlette looked at the album cover and said, "What's with the baby?" Um, oral fixation. It's what Freud was actually talking about. I remember reading, when the name of the new album was first released, a long complaint from a fan about how Shakira should have known better, it was something like "NOOOOOOO! SHAKIRA!! Don't you know what you'll be asked about at every single interview!?!" And on and on like that.

There are some very pathetic individuals in the world. Following the gossip leading up to the release of this album, I ran across quite a few of them. Even were I the poetry writing kind, I don't think I would write sappy, poorly-written love poems to someone I had never even met, much less known.

Not that I'm greedy, but I can't wait for the second volume to come out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette said...

One side of the unfolded booklet is a poster

I'm so amused that this strikes you as a cool new idea. Cool, yes; new, no, as I demonstrated with my cd booklet for Young Guns II. Also, they used to include free posters with records (the vinyl kind) sometimes--that's the real reason my mom bought that David McCallum album ;-)


Even were I the poetry writing kind, I don't think I would write sappy, poorly-written love poems to someone I had never even met, much less known.

Are you counting me and my poems about Creed in this description of pathetic individuals? They're not "love poems", per se, but they express enthusiasm, adoration, and eventually sorrow...


Not that I'm greedy, but I can't wait for the second volume to come out.

Meanwhile, there are still two Shaki albums you don't have yet...(and yes, you're greedy).

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Philosopher Poet said...

It could be worse: he could like beenie babies.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hamlette said...

Yeah, I don't really mind that he likes Shakira, cuz I like her too. If he had a burning desire to collect everything concerning Jessica Simpson, I might not be so calm...

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home