Friday, July 29, 2005

Buses

I read a letter to the editor today that has a perspective on an issue I hadn't heard before.

"The school system should not be running buses, and here's why:
*They are stealing ridership from the city buses.
*They are duplicating a functino of the transportation departments responsibility...." (the other two reasons are not very good)

I had never considered the possibility of eliminating "school buses" per se, and turning them into regular buses on which children could ride (perhaps with a special "school pass"). It seems to be a reasonable proposal to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Noumenon said...

If you can contract to pick up garbage, why not schoolchildren? :) It would be just a more-highly regulated version of taxi service. Sounds great.

Other hand I'm starting to have my doubts about all these companies that have only one client, the government. There's no healthy free-market competition, in fact political connections are the key to victory.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

The arguments in the public administration book makes me leary of contracting. I no longer see it as entirely a good thing.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home