Friday, July 22, 2005

Economics

"There is an old joke that says that the exam questions in economics remain the same every year--only the answers change."

I have a collection of 1950's and 60's Reader's Digests, and remember reading several articles about import-substitution industrialization, which was then in vogue. It seems to me that the key to humor is that it has to be close to reality, but not so close as to be a serious discussion. For example, I didn't really like Dave Barry's book, Dave Barry: Hits Below the Beltline because it was just a little too real. It was more tragi-comic than strictly humorous. This is funny because I know how much things change in economics, but there's enough stability to make the joke a slightly warped version of reality. I grok humor (which, by the way, was a very lousy book).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home