Saturday, July 16, 2005

Why I'm not a cop

I was driving along the interstate on the way back from dropping my mother in law off at the airport, when a cop got on the freeway immediately in front of me. The cop was going EXACTLY the speed limit. As one of those annoying people who drive the speed limit, the presence of an officer of the law did not alter my behavior. There were others, however, who came zipping up behind me, started to pass and then slowed waaaaay down. After a good fifteen minutes or so, the cop had his own personal traffic jam. Bumper to bumper, three lanes, so far back that I couldn't see the end of it in my rear-view mirror, and all going precisely the speed limit. Ahead of the cop was open, empty road. So why am I not a cop? Because I would do that just for the fun of it. I'd see how big a traffic jam I could create just by making people obey the law.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Philosopher poet said...

My wife would hate you. I'm like you, it wouldn't bother me.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Hamlette said...

Your wife must be like Octavo Dia's ;-) She was once accused by a DOT officer of "driving like a hot-rod boy"...

10:02 PM  
Blogger Noumenon said...

If you were a cop, you could use this power for good, to clear traffic jams instead of causing them: see the second page of http://www.davethomas.org/traffic1/SCIENCE%20HOBBYIST%20Traffic%20Waves%20physics%20for%20bored%20commuters.htm . This is not worth reading except for being very diverting, I read the whole thing!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home