Monday, September 19, 2005

Frogs

I just read the most bizarre thing. The use of frogs as pregnancy tests. Apparently, before the advent of artificial pregnancy tests, you could inject a frog with a sample of certain bodily fluids, and if it caused a female frog to ovulate, or a male frog to produce sperm, then you were pregnant. How on earth did someone discover this? Gee, I wonder if I'm pregnant, I think I'll inject this frog to find out. I can't even think of a plausible alternative way of making such a discovery. I mean, there was a Calvin and Hobbes strip in which Calvin asked, "Why do we drink cow's milk? Who was the first guy who said, "I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze them." That's at least semi-plausible, you shoot a cow, cut it open, and you're hungry and it doesn't smell poisonous, so you try it. How does one start injecting frogs? Even the whole frog-licking thing was more understandable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home