Friday, March 03, 2006

Touche

This is the debate equivalent of a backhand. Not very painful, but terribly insulting that they were able to pull it off.

Representative Duncan Hunter: "How can you possibly say that you didn't see in this particular case, in this particular deal [the Dubai Ports takeover], a security problem? ... Are you sure you can say, from a security standpoint, that the ownership is irrelevant?"

Heritage Foundation Spokesman James Carafano: "The system is really ownership-irrelevant. You don't need to buy a $7 billion company to penetrate maritime security. The Mafia doesn't buy FedEx to smuggle."

I know how hard it is to come up with something like that, so I have a great appreciation of someone who does.

2 Comments:

Blogger Noumenon said...

Hey, I can do those! Here's the opposing view: The Indians never turned over their smoke signals to the Pony Express.

I bet if I knew enough about the Mafia I'd be able to list legitimate Italian shipping companies they could make use of because of invisible ties formed back in the old country.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Hamlette said...

I know how hard it is to come up with something like that, so I have a great appreciation of someone who does.

Heck, I admire anyone who will stand up in front of a large group of other people and talk. Of course, I think they're crazy, but I admire their guts. And if they manage to sound intelligent, I'm even more impressed. If they're funny AND intelligent, however, I realize the truth: they're obviously aliens.

(Remember me? The girl who answered the question "How're you doing?" with "No.")

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home