Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Magic

I'm playing a Civ III Lord of the Rings scenario right now. It's just a hack some oaf made, so it doesn't have all sorts of graphic redesigns. To represent the ring of power, he didn't actually use anything remotely ring shaped, but just used the nuke icon to represent it. The use of the nuke to represent all powerful magic is quite telling, because that is precisely what is wrong with most fantasy writing that involves magic. When someone has magical power, they have nukes. It doesn't matter if you are valiant or brave or wise or sly, they have the nukes, and as the saying goes, "Towns in Europe are only a kiloton apart." Since there is no fallout and nuclear winter and end of life as we know it from magic, there's no incentive not to use it, so you can't continue the story like we can continue having conflict despite having nukes.

Which brings me around to the point of this rant, the thing that I really like about Lord of the Rings is that the all powerful magic does have fallout--it will corrupt you and make you an EBMOD. So the story continues despite the magical power.

3 Comments:

Blogger Noumenon said...

EBMOD

I knew what this meant so instantly that my brain didn't even consciously translate it. Instead as I read it I was wondering, "What community is he in that has 'Evil Bitch Monster of Death' in the vernacular?" Took me a while to remember it came from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

As a follow up about this, the scenario didn't bother getting rid of the nuke's other properties. I nuked Rivendell with it. I'm going to have to try that as a good guy and see if it behaves similarly.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Hamlette said...

Noumenon said...I was wondering, "What community is he in that has 'Evil Bitch Monster of Death' in the vernacular?"

Hee hee, that's too funny! It's become such a part of our consciousness, we forget it's from Buffy. I didn't know other people shorten it to EBMOD too; I thought that was something my friends and I came up with so we could say it and people wouldn't know what we mean. As in, "The stupid registrar is such an EBMOD! She wouldn't let me sign up for Photography 101". It's a a great term tho, so makes sense it would get used in your Buffyverse and shortened.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home