Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Missing the forest

In an earlier post, I pointed out an instance in which the scriptural "Tree of the knowledge of good and evil" was converted into "the tree of knowledge" to support a technophobe, Luddite interpretation of Christianity. I found another reference, this time in a piece of narrative criticism "Environmentalism as Religion", that uses "the tree of knowledge" in the same manner to the same end:

"There's an initial Eden, a paradise, a state of grace and unity with nature, there's a fall from grace into a state of pollution as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge, and as a result of our actions there is a judgment day coming for us all."

2 Comments:

Blogger Yoel Natan said...

The metaphorical use of the Genesis I dislike the most is once I heard a liberal on the Lerner PBS News Hour say that we must be completely colorblind to race when it comes to crime and education. Otherwise we bit the apple and all kinds of unpleasantness results. Hmm. Seems to me that instead of being terminally naive, having our eyes wide open but being sensitive about race would be the better route.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Secret Rapture said...

My inaugural address at the Great White Throne Judgment of the Dead, after I have raptured out billions! The Secret Rapture soon, by my hand!
Read My Inaugural Address
My Site=http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/spaceman

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home