Monday, April 09, 2007

Original Righteousness

As I said in response to a comment a while ago, I have been having trouble with the concept of original sin. It is patently necessary to the Christian faith, but it smacks of unfairness. I heard one response, that original sin is unfair, but it is by no means unjust. A better interpretation, in my view, and one with which I am contented, is derived from Genesis 5:1b, 3: "When God created man, He made him in the likeness of God.... When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth."

This means that we are not in the image of God--a point I should have made in response to The Atheist Jew--we are in the image and likeness of Adam. This is hugely important. If Adam no longer had his original righteousness, he could no longer pass it down. The doctrine of original sin seems terribly unfair--why should we be held to account just because Adam and Even sinned? However, if Adam had a get out of jail free card, his original righteousness, and lost it, then we are all judged solely on our own merits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home