Monday, February 25, 2008

China Rising

Today at work people were discussing the rise of China, and how it will shortly dominate the world in everything. I hate how my opinions are much more complicated than the simple anecdotes about "everything being made in China" that are needed in conversation. Whenever I read something about China, what strikes me is not, "They're getting better every day in every way." What I read is "Whatever they're doing is not sustainable." Whatever category I look at--financial policy, the environment, resource usage, politics, foreign relations, etc.--I see a growing undercurrent that is hidden by dramatic economic growth. When the economic hiccup comes, and it will come, all these contrary currents will rise to the surface, and China's rise will come to a shuddering halt. It will take years, if not decades, to put its house in order before it can begin to rise again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home