Sunday, May 18, 2008

God is Imaginary: #9 Understand Ambiguity

Understand Ambiguity.

I suspect resume padding on the part of the Fifty Reasons God is Imaginary. This reason is addressing the same issue in virtually the same way as the first two reasons. I suppose, if you have only forty seven reasons why God is imaginary, it doesn't have quite the same impact. Since I've answered that question in the two posts I linked to, I'm going to take the same question in another direction, this one based on Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord." Heck, read the whole chapter, it'll do you good.

To me, the most obvious way in which God's ways differ from ours is in Law and Gospel. I have not yet met a non-Christian who understood the Gospel. In my experience, without knowing the religious background of an author, when a non-Christian writes about Christianity, I can tell, because they do not understand the Gospel. I have concluded that one cannot understand the Gospel and disbelieve. If one understands, one must believe (which Scripture bears out in 1 Corinthians 12:3 "No one who is speaking by the Spirit of God can say "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.")

Those who do not understand the Gospel, who are still burdened by the Law, understand law very well. You do bad, you're punished. You do good, you're rewarded. Simple. Precise. Everyone thinks they do good, or are at least not bad enough to be punished. That's the human way. God's ways are not our ways. See the Theology of Groucho Marx. The examples they give in Understanding Ambiguity are all human purposes for human ends. What is God's way? He says in 1 Timothy 2:3-4 "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth." If our prayers wiped away all pain and suffering, all evil and death, and all sadness and loss, we would be in heaven. Guess what? Our prayers are doing precisely that. Christ is coming soon. That will strip away all ambiguity.

Back to Fifty Reasons.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home