Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Theology of Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx said, "I would not join any club that would accept me as a member." This is my response to anyone who says Christianity is no different from any of these other religions. There is not a religion on earth whose standard of behavior I could not achieve. Yet I know that I am not a good person. I feel the veneer of civilization. I feel the strictures of law. I feel the restraint of custom and habit. I know they are all imposed from the outside. Inside me is the truth. As Christ said in Matthew 15:19 "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander." I have that inside me, and yet I am good enough for every god on earth. I would not worship any god who would accept me as a follower. I demand a god who I cannot serve. If I am good enough for a god, that god is not good enough for me. Only Christianity provides such a God. And only Christianity provides such a God, and yet saves you from damnation. That is the Theology of Groucho Marx.

2 Comments:

Blogger Noumenon said...

There is not a religion on earth whose standard of behavior I could not achieve.

You can free yourself from all desire?

10:10 AM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

You can free yourself from all desire?

Indeed. I have freed myself from the desire to free myself from all desire.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home