Sunday, December 27, 2009

Book Reviews: A Patriot's History of the United States


Schweikart, Larry and Michael Allen. A Patriot's History of the United States: From Columbus' Discovery to the War on Terror.

When I was a young warthog, I had a series of school books by A Beka. I disliked them intensely, mainly because of their emphasis on rote memorization of random facts (I still wonder what earthly good the vocabulary word vexillology will do me).

A secondary reason for my displeasure was that they had the simplistic understanding that the difference between a secular textbook and a Christian textbook was the insertion of the word "God" at least twice in every paragraph. It did little to improve my understand, and much to annoy me.

Anyway, this book brought A Beka books to mind, only instead of Bible Thumping they inserted Flag Waving. Not better, just different.

From a historical perspective, they brought many new things to mind, but that's pretty well standard with any history book. Rare is the historian so uninteresting that they don't raise a single pertinent fact.

A Cubs fan would understand how I feel about this book. As a social, religious, and economic conservative, with libertarian tendencies, this book drew attention to every time my team got whupped. Which was all... the... time.... If it weren't for Pyrrhic victories, my team wouldn't have won at all.

Labels: