Sunday, December 13, 2009

Secularism

Secularism is dying.

It is losing the war of ideas against Creationism.

It is losing a literal war against militant Islam.

Christianity was the core, the foundation, of the Enlightenment. When the secularists usurped it, claiming that Christianity was just another superstition, they lost the critical mass and philosophical underpinnings needed to sustain it.

Just as Greek philosophy was maintained by Christianity, the Enlightenment will be maintained by Christianity, but just like Greek philosophy, those who base their thought on it will pass away.

5 Comments:

Blogger Noumenon said...

Must be a partisan thing... I wouldn't agree with any of those first three sentences. And I tend to think it's philosophy... everything from utilitarianism to consumerism... that carries away Christianity in the long run. It'd be tough for Luther or Aquinas to recognize this thing they call "Christianity" today.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

The first sentence is based on the second two.

I believe the first one as true based on rhetoric. One does not launch vitriolic assaults on that which is not a threat. The attack on Creationism is a result of its strength--growing from almost nothing in the early 20th century (C.S. Lewis, a great apologist, was an evolutionist), to a major movement in Christianity.

I believe the second one is true because those secularist countries with substantial Muslim populations do little to defend their secularist beliefs.

everything from utilitarianism to consumerism... that carries away Christianity in the long run.

I agree. However, Christianity does revert to the mean. Aquinas and Luther brought the church back to the source. It is, I believe, overdue for such a Reformation. I think that Creationism, and the strict defense of Scripture, is the source of the coming Reformation.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Losing the war against creationism?

In what universe?

12:00 PM  
Blogger Noumenon said...

I'm not interested in seeing you guys argue, but I would be interested in finding out how Mr. Anonymous ended up finding this blog.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Octavo Dia said...

I'm not really either, as I answered his assertion in my comment.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home