Sunday, January 17, 2010

Movie Review: Avatar with spoilage


I'm terrible about reviewing movies. I'll get out of a movie, and the first thing said is, "How was it?" Honestly, I don't really know. Until I've had time to reflect on it, I don't know if I liked it or not.

I'll tell you two things I didn't like: the camera work and the 3D.

I didn't like the camera work because it was too darn fast. Sure it was a three hour movie, but I would have gladly endured another hour just so I could spend time examining the background. I'm not very imaginative in that sense, so I show a great appreciation for other people's imagination. The novels I like are very description driven, and I would have liked a lot more time to absorb the world I was seeing. Weta Workshops put countless hours into that background that your silly camera just swirled by!

The second thing I didn't like was the 3D. It made me woozy.

Anyway, this was like the ultimate indigenous fantasy: the ghost dance worked and the buffalo brothers returned to drive off the invader. Still, as I was listening to the rousing call to arms, and in the first part of the battle, all that came to my mind was the battle of Rorke's drift.

Anyway, they won, though, as is the case in real life colonial situations, it was the half-breed that led to the ousting of the colonial power.

It was worth seeing again, but in 2D, and slow motion.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette said...

So we'll get it from the library in a few months and you can slow-mo to your heart's content :-)

10:05 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

You know, my family often comes out of movies and is completely silent for the whole drive home. Everybody wants to think about what they saw, nobody wants to talk about it yet while they're still absorbing. Fortunately, we're all the same way, so the silence is mutual and expected. Much later we talk about it. When my parents drove down here to see Avatar, we never talked about when they got back here. We just cooked dinner and went on with normal life. My sister and I didn't even talk about the film until the next day. :-D

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home