Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book Review: Shadow Warriors

Timmerman, Kenneth R. Shadow Warriors: The Untold Story of Traitors, Saboteurs, and the Party of Surrender. New York: Three Rivers Press, 2007.

This book is a conspiracy theorist book, with all the trappings that entails, but it does demonstrate, as I like to quote, "Few arguments last long when the truth is on one side only." I learned something from this book: the trouble with coups is that, in order to launch one, you have to be part of the regime you topple. You can't have a "clean" coup.

In theory, little of this was new. Controlling the bureaucracy has been a theoretical problem in political science since pretty much the creation of a bureaucracy.

In practice, however, I'm going to take this book under advisement. I don't consider this book a reputable source, so I'll keep it in mind until I receive corroboration from another (preferably reputable) source. The endorsement from Limbaugh on the copy I have detracts from its credibility.

If all of this is true, however, I will change my opinion of the Bush administration. The Bush administration wasn't necessarily incompetent when it comes to war planning; it was incompetent in navigating a Byzantine political system. I'm not sure which is worse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home