Saturday, August 21, 2010

Book Review: God's Psychiatry & ...But God Can

Allen, Charles L. God's Psychiatry. Ozment, Robert V. ...But God Can. Guideposts 2-in-1 selection. Carmel, NY; Guideposts Associates, Inc., 1953.

My normal fare is rather heavy--history, politics, economics, etc.--so it was amazing how good a mood reading these books put me in. It's hard to read Scripture and not have a sense of peace fall on you. I was struck, however, by how much more difficult writing a book must have been in the days before the internet. If I remember a saying, and don't remember where I read it, in a few seconds I can have the answer. These men had to remember, or laboriously look up everything in their books. I don't think I could do it.

...But God Can is filled with all sorts of sayings and platitudes. One that struck me was something a little girl said when reciting the 23rd Psalm. "The Lord's my shepherd. That's all I want." Even if you had a perfect translation, you should still read the Bible in other versions. I've been through the Bible nine times in my life, and it's so easy to just skim over the verses without really dwelling on them. The changes in wording make you slow down and think about what you read.

Anyway, they were nice little books, and I'm better for having read them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home