Thursday, August 19, 2010

Book Review: Moon-o-theism, Chapter 9

I don't really have much to say about this chapter. Mohammad used some of the fertility practices of the pagan religions, but rejected the gods and goddesses associated with them. That may have been a bowing to the culture at the time, and not really incorporated into the body of Islam. I guess I'm not altogether clear on the point of this chapter, and how it fits with the book as a whole, or if the argument just needs to be strengthened and clarified.

I did think the market in second-hand gods was interesting. As pagans converted, their idols were sold off to the remaining pagans, which rapidly created a glut in the market. That had to have been weird, if they stopped to think about it: "Hey! I bought a god cheap from the thrift store!" Idols were the paneling of the time.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home