Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: Legends of Valor

Lehane, Brendan. Legends of Valor. The Enchanted World. Alexandria, VA; Time-Life, Inc., 1984.

When I was growing up, we had a book with a gray cover. On its front was, I believe, a picture of St. George and the Dragon. Inside it was full of stories of the Knights of the Round Table and beautiful color painting of the various knights. I loved it and have half-heartedly searched for it at used bookstores every since.

My wife found this one for me, and though it is not the one I was looking for, it was also filled with beautiful paintings.

I liked this book. It straddles the gap between fiction and non-fiction. The author weaves in and out of the stories to explain why the knights did certain things, what their weapons were like, and how the societies in which they lived changed. This book made we want to read the rest of the series.

As for the missing book of my youth, I don't know if I really want to find it. Will it be as awesome as I remember? Or, as Neil Diamond said in Brooklyn Roads:

Thought of going back
But all I'd see are stranger's faces
And all the scars that love erases
But as my mind walks through those places
I'm wonderin'
What's come of them?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home