Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book Review: The Courageous Follower

The Courageous Follower: Standing Up to & for Our Leaders.

In one of the leadership courses I've taken, the personality/behavioral inventory told me that I was the quintessential follower.  As you might imagine, a book singing the praises of followership would be right up my alley (but only if the boss approves).

The main thing I got out of this book was the importance of independent followership.  A follower who cannot separate from the leader is a poor follower.  As such, a follower needs to build a base of independence, i.e., savings, a side business, potential jobs, etc., so that, if need be, the follower can vote with their feet.  On the leader's side of things, though squeezing a workforce may provide short-term gains, cutting independence through reduced wages, long hours, or cutting training leads to a dependent workforce which is bad for the leader.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home